Western High School Alumni Association

501 S. Western Avenue, Anaheim, CA  92804

"With Pioneer spirit, anything can be accomplished"

Home
Facebook Site
Memory Lane
Reunions and Events
Alma Mater
History of WHS
Event Calendar

Western High Home Page

Donations
Hall of Fame
Mailbox
Alumni Store
Contact us
 

 

Western High School Historical Tidbits

  • Suggested first names for the school were "John J. Pershing" and "General Bill Mitchell" Junior High School
  • The school was named after Western Avenue which was "way-out-west".
  • The first school newspaper was named the WESTERN HI-LITE.
  • The first yearbook was named THE PIONEER.
  • Sugar beets grew on the first grassless football field.
  • A local farmer had to move after the football team woke up his chickens during summer drills.
  • The school opened in September 1954 and the official dedication was January 6, 1955 at 10:00 a.m.
  • The first drill team was known as the TOPPERS and became the SILHOUETTE DRILL TEAM with the famous top hat and tails routine.
  • Mr. Encheff began the LIVING CHRISTMAS TREE in 1958.
  • Brookhurst was in double session on the Western Junior High School campus until the Spartan campus was ready.
  • The school was built for 800 students and they had 1,600 the second year.
  • The first graduating senior high school class was 1960.
  • The conversion from junior high school to high school began in the fall of 1957 with grades nine and ten.
  • Some students stayed for six years and that is why the old senior "circle" has six sides.
  • Early pep rallies were held on the overhang outside the cafeteria.
  • A large "W" was painted on the roof over room #22.
  • The school seal was designed in 1957 - A circular figure rimmed by 12 scallops.
  • The PIONEER GATE was established in 1966 based on a 300 year old tradition at Brown University.

For more historical facts on Western High School click here

For WHS Football records, click here